Sunday, January 22, 2006

The Silver Wolf, Alice Borchardt

"To the wolf there was no right or wrong, good or evil. There was only the pattern and she was part of the pattern. To judge as the woman did was as foreign to her nature as were hope and despair" (p.218) - now this seems what both Anne Rice and I would call a ripping good read! lol

"'Albinus?' Dulcina said. 'My lady, the man is rising seventy. He doesn't even bother to hide his bald spot and never worries about his paunch. If I went into transports of ecstasy about him, the shock might kill him. I'm an artist. I may sing of love and while I'm singing I may believe in it, but I don't plan my life around it. I'm far too practical.'
"(...)'Oh, you poor dear,' Cecelia said. 'Some ferocious barbarian, no doubt. Yet many of these northern lords are tall, handsome men, fond and respectful of their womenfolk. And,' she said, as if trying to soften, 'it may be you will come to love him.'
'''I hope not,' Regeane said. (...)'I don't plan to love him. I plan to survive him.'
"'How very wise, my dear,' Cecelia said." (pp. 257-8)

"'Women have the power of life and death. We, after all, give birth and the fate of humanity is in our hands. That's why men try so hard to rule us, my dear.'
"'They know if we once looked well on what they have made of human existence, we might close our legs and within our barren wombs bring the comedy to an end.'" (p.291)

"'Is it so terrible, then, to be a witch?'
"'No.' Daedalus smiled. 'For the earth is a beautiful soft woman, and the witch is her voice.'" (p. 313)

"'We animals do not need ethics. We are not corrupt. You humans do. You are.'
(...)
"'I remember when this city was very young. Rome eternal. The center of the world, teeming with people. I hated her, but I thought her invincible. Now, I find where Caesars ruled, where her patrician nobles betrayed each other and fought for power, nothing. Nothing, but wind and silence. It's a shock, that's all.'
"Gavin shrugged. 'Wolves have no history.'" (p. 365-6).

"'We have words, wolves do - words for love, chase, kill, fight. For snow, mountain, grass, fire, and star. Those and many others. But we have no words for sin, corruption and evil. Those are human inventions..'" (p. 366)

The Wolf/Dog connection i.e. Separate your fact from your fiction! And no, as I thought, dogs and wolves in fact belong to two different species, although, from the evidence of mitochondrial DNA, dogs seem descended from wolves ;-))

4 Comments:

Blogger Sebastian Aristos said...

Glad to hear that you really enjoyed the book. I hope you like "The Valley of the Horses". It was fun to reread some of your favourite bits of "The Silver Wolf", particularly this bit :

'Women have the power of life and death. We, after all, give birth and the fate of humanity is in our hands. That's why men try so hard to rule us, my dear.'
"'They know if we once looked well on what they have made of human existence, we might close our legs and within our barren wombs bring the comedy to an end.'" (p.291)

But how come Maggie Thatcher had to go and ruin everything for women's reputation ?

7:07 pm  
Blogger asgif666 said...

Glad it inspired you to reread...

Maggie Thatcher does not count, surely? I always thought her a man, in drag! lol

7:31 pm  
Blogger mythosandbios said...

Haven't read the book .... so can't comment on a few passages without background context. Me, I like my ripping yarns without moral ambiguity - nice good vs evil stuff, but then I feel that I live in a world chockful with moral ambiguity so I like a break from it occasionally - for entertainment purposes only LOL. But different strokes as they say!

8:45 pm  
Blogger asgif666 said...

Different strokes, indeed, but for me the reaction to the 'white hats vs. black hats' confrontation did not arise from so much a deep intellectual analysis, as a purely visceral reaction, i.e. it did really make me feel sick to the stomach, which kind of put me off any further reading...sorry ;-P

8:49 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Hermgirl's Tarot Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next