Monday, December 05, 2005

10 of Wands - or the curse of environmental sensitivities


Although we had quite a pleasant chat last night (although he spoke Norwegian, so I did not understand him too well over a bad connection), I have decided NOT to ring B-E tonight, on the strength of this card...

And it does not end there. I already felt averse to Sacred Heart mission
art group changing its location back to the meeting place as of yesterday, i.e. I just "did not like the energy" of the place (possibly the reason I find myself into feng shui - environmental sensitivity to energies of place?).


The only "pro" I could think of to justify the move seemed that there we/they find more space, and people did get stressed by cramped conditions, and lack of physical space, including myself, on occasion.

The "cons" I totted up amounted to -
(1) lack of natural light, opaque and dingy windows, necessitating a dingy, yellowish, electric gloom even at the height of a very bright, warm summer's day - and one simply cannot paint by artificial light, as I found the last time I tried to paint at night, by artificial light, in Norway, i.e. what do artists' studios feature, regardless of size, but an abundance of windows admitting natural light, and even the odd skylight?
(2) bars on the windows, making one feel "imprisoned" and claustrophobic, despite the extra space;
(3) lousy acoustics, such that when Billy started to sing, you could not even tell he sang at first, and then you had to move closer to discover what he sang (also causing very poor and stressful conditions for trivia, which I also had to abandon, for that reason, because it just did not seem "fun" any more);
(4) horrible narrow storage area, with doors opening every which way, making it difficult for people going in or out to collect supplies and materials;
(5) finding ourselves locked out, in the beginning, and kicked out, at the end, to facilitate Sacred Heart's own agendas - no opportunity for traditional socializing and traditional "karaoke" on Tuesday? Although Craig did not attend today - someone must have tipped him off? So I never got to check this one out, having to leave early today, for the 6th big reason...
(6) the disinfectant with which they washed the floors today smelt so strong, the fumes went to my head straight away, giving me a headache, smarting eyes and difficulty breathing... They treated it as a joke when I had to go about with a tissue over my nose and mouth, and finally had to "exile" myself outside till I could go. Even if I could go in after an hour, that would not leave any time to actually do some art. The nuns would kick up a big stink if anyone dared smoke in there, but cannot understand it when the boot finds itself on the other foot, of a smoker to boot (i.e. who said smokers have no sense of smell, and no environmental sensitivities)? Kate would not even listen when I tried to explain this, saying she found herself "too busy"; Sister Rose did show more sympathy, and I will miss her when no longer able to attend as either a participant or volunteer. I hope they will miss me too.
I cannot do art at home (no room). I have heard the Salvos also run some art program on a Monday or Tuesday; must check it out, due to the stresses of this dis-/relocation...


5 Comments:

Anonymous Kate said...

Claire, What a hissy fit you turned on today at our Art Group.I was really surprised. We had 20 people attend all of whom love the Meeting Place, with its wide open windows, natural light, and space. Not to mention the new larger storage cupboards.
Someone said they couldn't understand your sensitivity to the (slight) disinfectantscent , as you smoke a pipe!

As for me being too busy to listen to you, I was shepherding 6 badly handicapped people in the rain , and you kept shouting at me wanting individual attention. Not impressed.

From the Sacred Heart Mission , which you are so busy condemning, you made a large amount of money at the recent art exhibition, and still you complain. All of the materials and publicity provided by us.
I hope this is just a bad hair day for you, but really none of us are impressed. I think you should take a few deep deep breaths and settle down before you post such things on the internet.

Kate

4:05 pm  
Blogger asgif666 said...

>the Meeting Place, with its wide open windows, natural light, and space. Not to mention the new larger storage cupboards.

I have covered those issues in my original post... you did not listen!

>Someone said they couldn't understand your sensitivity to the (slight) disinfectantscent , as you smoke a pipe!

Yeh, and as I said in the above post, my own "sensitivity" surprised me! (But work on your spelling of disinfectant), lol! And it did not seem "slight" to me ;-P

>As for me being too busy to listen to you, I was shepherding 6 badly handicapped people in the rain , and you kept shouting at me wanting individual attention. Not impressed.

This seems what hurts me the most. How many times have I asked for individual attention? And how many times have I given it to others who needed it? *tearing up* (Hopefully you will print out this reply with my original post.)

>you made a large amount of money at the recent art exhibition, and still you complain. All of the materials and publicity provided by us.

Yeh, and I fully appreciate that (although it depends how you define a "large amount of money"), and wanted to repay your "cut" in full. But, although you encouraged me at first not to "undersell", when I no longer wanted to "undersell", you then encouraged me TO undersell, and I did undersell a lot of favorite works at your urging, the proceeds of which got ripped off by an untrustworthy person here (no fault of Sacred Heart's, of course, but it did take the shine off my night), and I consequently feel "ripped off" twice. (That kind of "double bind" makes people go crazy...see R.D.Laing!) ;-P

You failed to appreciate my son's computer-savvy critique of the Green PC program you flog there, because it only serves to further disadvantage and disenfranchise the already disadvantaged and disenfranchised, and you fail to appreciate that, for all my "sensitivities" to the "environment" provided by the "meeting place" (which makes me shun it like a plague, even for a free lunch!), I too find myself one of the most disadvantaged of the disadvantaged (on the dole, not the pension), yet, when, after paying my dues, you would not cut me a little slack to make the most of such earnings as remained to me, you treated me as a business proposition only, whereas everyone else (or most of them - not all, to my knowledge) who fronts up there gets treated with some "charity", as deserving of it...

And if I amount to such a "great artist" as to find myself exploited as the "goose that lays the golden eggs", should that not entitle me to a little "artistic temperament" as well? And I HAVE to post this "on the internet", because you would not listen to me, at the time! ;-P

6:21 pm  
Blogger mythosandbios said...

Oh Claire ... how hurtful this all is. Being a smoker and highly sensitive to disinfectants, artificial perfumes, petrochemicals etc I can relate only too well to what you are saying ... hence my current sinus infection. This assumption by non-smokers that we are insensitive to environmental pollution (insenstive social pariahs in general) has no logic to and seems to be driven by the generalised 'non-smoking = good senstive caring person, smoking = bad insenstive uncaring person' view that pervade our society.

I can relate also, to the need for light ... living in a dark house as I do (though not as dak as yours) and needing far more light than I have, and not just for my painting ... it is very affecting on the mood to live in a world that is not filled with sufficient natural light.

I can relate to being disadvantaged and not being listened too ... it hurts. I haven't been able to get onto the blogs until now ... and to read all this! I wish that I could hug you, in spite of not being a hugging type ... and to listen.

It seems like the 7 of swords (?) energies from Friday were lurking waiting to combine with newer ones for a double-whammy.

Drats and double drats and a pile of it ... you need a place to create ... where the hell is mythos's wand dammit! I want to wave it and fix the world.

love you
mythos

1:15 am  
Blogger asgif666 said...

lol @ This assumption by non-smokers that we are insensitive to environmental pollution (insenstive social pariahs in general) has no logic to and seems to be driven by the generalised 'non-smoking = good senstive caring person, smoking = bad insenstive uncaring person' view that pervade our society...

And Kate should know better, as a smoker herself! ;-))

>I can relate also, to the need for light ... living in a dark house as I do (though not as dak as yours)

Funny, I do not feel it as dark, perhaps because during the daylight hours I hang out in the north-facing kitchen part, where the computer finds itself, and the two quite large, uncurtained windows; if you stayed in the bed/lounge part, you might find it 'dark'! lol

>I can relate to being disadvantaged and not being listened too ... it hurts. I haven't been able to get onto the blogs until now ... and to read all this! I wish that I could hug you, in spite of not being a hugging type ... and to listen.

Thanks, you have already done more than enough (listening, I mean) - and I really don't need that 'cyber-huggy' shit....yeeeccchh!! lol

6:29 am  
Blogger Sebastian Aristos said...

Claire,

Well, it seems like you have been having an 'interesting' time ! Remember the old Chinese curse, "May all you days be interesting" ?

It does seem a shame, though, that you will no longer be going to the Art Group at Sacred Heart Mission. I know you enjoyed it. I went there today for breakfast for the first time in a few weeks, and saw your two 'torsos' there, in pride of place, as they deserve to be. Very nice ! You should be very proud of yourself.

I look forward to seeing you on Friday for fish and chips as 'normal'.

Lots of love,
Sebi
XXXX

10:38 am  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Hermgirl's Tarot Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next