Monday, October 03, 2005

Temperance, and a strange Tarot dream


Temperance = Harold (from Harold and Maude): Merry minstrel he, this troubadour of the banjo of freedom, singing out as he comes through Trouble, the deaths, the griefs, the sorrow, the car-wreck of his last staged "suicide" left behind. The way looks open, and clear, the memories of so many "suicides" left far below at the bottom of the cliff... "If you want to sing out, sing out; /And if you want to be free, be free, / Cos there's a million ways to be, /You know that there are... If you want to be me, be me, / and if you want to be you, be you..."
For Maude has not died; she lives and sings on in his resurrected heart! For this seems the trump of resurrection, as surely as Jesus of Montreal represents its icon... After the floods, the storms, always comes a rainbow, of new life, new hope, and infinite possibilities under the sun. "Open expanse, nothing holy" (Zen saying), which equates to "Everything that lives, is holy" (William Blake).

I also had a strange Tarot dream last night. In my dream, I study Tarot all night, as I used to also play literati all night, in my dreams! I had a moment of lucid dreaming when I realised that what I thought the computer screen actually amounted to the TV screen, still on, so I knew I found myself in a dream! This also felt strange, like a kind of bilocation, i.e. finding yourself in two places at once, simultaneously lying in bed with the TV on, and sitting up at my computer monitor, online! The screen appeared blue and yellow, and I began to interpret this, as you would a dream, only still in the dream: "yellow" representing all the cowardice we don't normally express, and "blue" all the blues, or depression, i.e. Tarot as a "safe" vehicle for expressing these. I also found myself exploring some of the cards as in real 'virtual reality': overawed by the size of the Tower, I thought, "Someone has to cut you down to size!" (lol) and the 5 of Wands appeared like a real, live, full-on virtual battleground... Think of the possibilities and potential of a real 'virtual reality' Tarot! *sigh* ;-))

4 Comments:

Blogger Sebastian Aristos said...

Wow Claire, what an interesting dream. I must admit that I am a little jealous, as I studied lucid dreaming for a long time, and only ever had one lucid dream. Yours was certainly a powerful one.

Interesting too that you 'syncretise' the "Temperance" card with "Harold and Maude". What a great movie ! I haven't seen it for ages, but it certainly remains a classic.

As for your dream, please tell us more. What happened when you found yourself in the 'battleground' represented by the 'Five of Wands' ? How did you behave in that dreamscape, and what did you do there ? My tarot manual says, in relation to the 'Five of Wands' card, : This is a stage of your life where you have to draw on reserves of patience to cope with what is happening to you. If nothing is going right, all you can do is grit your teeth and deal with the situation. You will need to develop strength of mind and a resolute belief that everything will eventually sort itself out. Yet in the meartime you will have to be flexible when necessary, since holding your ground in some situations might make matters worse. At other times, you may be convinced that you have to stand by what you believe in, even if it makes you unpopular.

I hope this is of some benefit, and look forward to hearing about your 'virtual reality' journey through the dreamscape of the 'Five of Wands'.

Love,
Sebi

2:28 am  
Blogger asgif666 said...

I can't remember any more detail, Sebi (if I could, I would have blogged it!), but I did have another "Tarot dream" last night in which I "played Tarot", on a literati board, with Tarot pictures among the letter-tiles making the words... ;-))

7:11 am  
Blogger mythosandbios said...

What an amazing dream. I, of the old school, a 1951 model, have been horrified by the notion of virtual reality tarot, but now I can 'see' it, and yes ... the potential is amazing.

Mind you, I'm still not able to cope with collage decks too well ... there are exceptions, and computer-art decks generally give me the willies. So, to take me into your virtual-reality tarot dream and have me thinking about that modern, new-fangled technology as a wonder, is truly trippy.

Odd ... the ways in which we read colour differently, for me blue is sky colour and yellow the sun, so both very positive and life-affirming. Hence why, Jacqueline McLeod kept making the point, at the Tarot Conference that colour symbolism is very individual. I think some people had come along expecting ... blue means this, yellow means that ... and we've got it all nailed down, and we can all live happily ever after.

Hmmm! mythos has gotten side-tracked again! LOL

2:26 pm  
Blogger asgif666 said...

I would have (consciously) made more positive colour interpretations as well, mythos, but this seems to come directly out of my unconscious, while still in the dream itself, so it seems to represent more what I "really" think! lol

3:34 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Hermgirl's Tarot Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next