Tuesday, October 18, 2005


Adam and Abel, from Daniel Quinn's Tales of Adam excerpts... Strangely reminiscent of Abraham and Isaac? ;-P
Excuse me, how come the video The Great Lie, or even the short from UNICEF of the bombing of the Smurf village, do not want to load, and all I get seems that stupid Tag ad, for a men's body spray, designed to attract the chicks? I felt like an Ishmael fan...rapidly becoming a disillusioned Ishmael fan (with the extinction of today's 200 species to add to our biomass).... Have emailed Dan Quinn about this, but come up with an email address to a B. Moroni (Morosi? or whatever) who only posts in Italian... Curiouser and curiouser, said Alice, well and truly down the rabbit hole of mysteriousness... Dan Quinn, wherever you find yourself, I just don't get this shit, or where you have disappeared, and just a few days ago, at Gawith, I thought myself a detective, but obviously I miss the able-bodied assistance of my sidekick Greg, aka. Dr Watson ;-P
Excuse me, this feels more like a 10 of Wands than a 7 of Cups scenario....let me out!!! And did not the 10 of Wands scenario feel like an Isaac-sacrificed-on-the-altar-of-Abraham scenario (while we seem on the theme of biblical/Tarot scenarios)....Damn you to hell, Dan Quinn, if you will not get back to me in the next few days (of biomass extinction), because you promise interactivity, but do not provide it ;-P

Man Behind the Curtain"
by Wendy du Bow

"What's happening is that _Ishmael_ -- a tale told by an ape, full of logic and conscience, signifying everything -- is being passed from hand-to-hand throughout the country. It's being taught in grade, college prep and remedial education schools, in universities and in a wide variety of staff-development programs. One book at a time, it has sold over 200,000 copies -- even though the first agent who read the manuscript told Quinn, "trash it" and "get on with your life". Quinn refused.

In 1989, he submitted the manuscript to the Turner Tomorrow Fellowship competition for fiction that aims for creative, positive solutions to global problems. To the chagrin of two of the judges, Peter Matthiesen and Willeam Styron, who felt that no single book should receive all the prize money, Quinn walked away with first prize, half a million dollars. Finally, he could stop writing the book he had rewritten seven times over 12 years.

Haha, Quinn, you laugh all the way to the bank? ;-P

"My life's work was achieved, so now I could take it easy", he says. While he hung out with his wife, Rennie, published short stories and collaborated with Tom Whalen on the soon-to-be-published "A Newcomer's Guide to the Afterlife", those 4,000 letters began arriving.

Overwhelming public response means that Quinn now as four phone lines in his house and must rent an office in downtown Austin so he can work without interruption.

And work he does. In his latest book, Providence: the Story of a Fifty-Year Vision Quest , Quinn narrates the story of his life, as if to anonymous readers who have awakened him in the middle of the night. "I'd always been very reluctant to write about myself", he explains. "Who cares about Daniel Quinn? I don't considered that false modesty; it's realistic". But enough readers demonstrated that they did care about the man behind the book, and this one's for them.

You wanker, Quinn, we wanted to know about solutions to global problems, not you, you bludger!

>He doesn't expect immediate change, though, instead "in about 30 years, things will begin to happen ... _Ishmael_ will be forgotten. Daniel Quinn will be forgotten. But the fact that a whole generation read this book will change the way people see things. I liken it to Sigmund Freud; nowadays his ideas are commonplace; they've changed the way we live". He pauses. "You can see I don't lack ambition".

You wanker, Quinn! Promise everything, deliver nothing,and in the meantime rake in half a million dollars profits...you...you...Taker, you!!!

Hope the IRS guys suitably ripped you off in tax ;-P *grr*

Can you predict northern lights activity?

The northern and southern lights occur whenever sunspot activity is high, but the degree of sunspot activity is erratic. It is difficult to pinpoint exactly when they will occur. One can usually notice increased sunspot activity when radio and television reception is disrupted.

6 Comments:

Blogger Sebastian Aristos said...

OK, it sounds like you are developing a serious love / hate relationship with Dan Quinn. Very interesting to hear the story behind the man behind the book, though. It reminds me of the excitement we felt when we read "K-Pax". I guess I'll have to read it to be able to comment. Wendy du Bow certainly digs her teeth in. It's easy to criticise others, but I wonder what Wendy has done to find the solution to global problems rather then giving Mr. Quinn a hard time. Autobiography doesn't necessarily imply lack of social conscience, especially when it's about a vision quest. I suppose the proof will be in the pudding. Speaking of vision quests, good luck trying to locate Mr. Quinn. At least he's got 4 phone lines at home !

3:01 am  
Blogger asgif666 said...

I had to delete his blog from my blogroll, because it amounted to something all in Italian, although "eumeme", as in a good idea, that spreads itself from one mind to another, seemed a good idea; but the blog ground to a halt in October 2004, apparently, because just not enough people read Italian, apparently... And can you tell the difference between Wendy's comments and mine?

8:38 am  
Blogger Sebastian Aristos said...

Claire,

I would have liked to check out the Italian site to see what it said. I had a look for the link last night and saw that you had deleted it. Can you send me the link please ? I had a quick read of the excerpt from his other book on the link that you still have, described as 'the most important blog in the blogosphere'.

Sebi

8:45 am  
Blogger Sebastian Aristos said...

Claire,

Just to let you know that I'm checking in to see if you've posted anything else. Just so I'm not always scolded for checking it out late, I thought I'd let you know that I'm checking in too early this time.

Thanks again for the favour, too, Claire. It was much appreciated.

Love,
Sebi

PS. Blog soon. I'm just off to blog about my new cartoon books, which you will no doubt remember. Are you interested in a career as a cartoonist ? With your excellent drawing skills and your wicked sense of humour, I'm sure that you would be able to do something amazing. Do you think this may be worthy of a tarot reading to see what the potential outcome of such a venture would be ? ( I can already feel you asking me whether I am going to do one for myself in relation to the same issue, so I will pre-empt the question with an affirmative answer ).

Well, I'd better sign off, as I think that this comment is becoming longer than most of my last few blog posts.

10:58 am  
Blogger asgif666 said...

I think you can find the link to his Italian blog from the Ishmael community website! ;-P

Will do you that reading ;-))

3:58 pm  
Blogger asgif666 said...

>PS. Blog soon.

Blog soon, blog early, blog often! lol

6:52 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Hermgirl's Tarot Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next