Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Red Crystal Earth, galactic activation portal ;-))

"All migrants, I think, are optimistic, or, anyway, hoping the blazes that they've really done the right thing. And we were odd sorts of migrants, in that we were migrating to home, which from fifteen years and a half a world away could be distorted by the curve of the earth, memory, and couriers' reports, into Utopia or Hicksville."
"For the rest of her life, Charmian Clift would continue to ask whether Australia was indeed a Promised Land or the end of the earth. She would turn her rare skill of social observation and analysis upon her own country and compatriots, just as she had examined the people and customs of Greece in her two travel books. As she did so, the initial optimism started to wane."
(from the Life and Myth of Charmian Clift, by Nadia Wheatley, p. 473.)

1 Comments:

Blogger Sebastian Aristos said...

Now I see why you identify so strongly with Charmaine Clift. I must admit I felt like I was coming from Utopia to Hicksville when I came back to our shores. Thank God(des) that that feeling has gone at last, and I am feeling settled.

12:14 am  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Hermgirl's Tarot Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next