Saturday, June 11, 2005

The politics of paranoid schizophrenia

Ok, I have got the Gawith Villa blog up and running, which should hopefully show in my sidebar as you read this. It took me a while to figure out how to delete my own profile from showing up on it (cos I don't want it to appear as "my" blog in any way, shape or form, but rather the blog of any Gawith Villa clients who want to contribute). Only some of the clients at Gawith Villa, a day centre for the intellectually disabled (and sometimes also physically disabled, as in Katrina's case) have psychiatric issues, and Colin represents one of them, or Colin Maxwell Jenkins, as he would have the world know his full name. They have diagnosed him "paranoid schizophrenic" on account of his unrelenting self-identification with "God", but all we who have seen What the Bleep Do We Know? know that could just as well apply to any of us. The only "problem" in Colin's case I can see, consists in getting him to also perceive the divinity in others. Now, his key worker, and my "superior", stomps on his ever labelling himself "God", and will not hear of it. So when Colin dictated his first post to me, I felt I "channelled God", but that put me in a difficult position as "secretary"/scribe/typist. It seems I "channel (God)" (a key word for today, btw), but organizational circumstances, and politics, forbid me to name him by name. I do not wish to appear to undermine his key worker, in any way, shape or form, even if, and I do, think he errs. When I similarly acted as web "secretary" and scribe to my similarly "paranoid schizophrenic" hubby Bjorn Erik, I did not do so under any organisational constraints, and therefore I could present his web page completely free of censorship, unexpurgated and unedited. I would love to do the same for Colin. But for fear of his key worker eventually viewing the blog, I cannot continue to present it as such in the long term, or he will not allow me to work with Colin any more. So, as a compromise measure, I will allow Colin's post to circulate in the blogosphere for the duration of the long weekend (hehe!) and then judiciously edit out the "God" bit, only. As he dictated it to me, I only commented, "Well, that has let the cat out of the bag, put the cat among the pigeons, and opened a can of worms." He smiled, as only a so-called "paranoid schizophrenic" can. He knew himself as a bit of a "devil" already in coming out with it. By definition, "paranoid schizophrenic" seems to mean "being persecuted for one's beliefs", with the inevitable censorship in one form or another ;-P
Hehe, today's Tarot seems also to relate to this situation: "Temperance: Calm and restraint. Self-control, patience and tact in handling situations. The act of applying balanced spiritual and psychic forces to physical life."
Quote of the day (from As Luck Would Have It, by Samuel Lock): "And this takes me back to what I was saying about the Virgin, and about the birth of Jesus: that what it symbolised - and still does, for that matter - was a sudden switch of emphasis, away from a God up there in the sky, to one that is not only down here, close to us, upon earth, but that is actually inside us. That light and understanding come from within, not from without; is born, as one might say, out of darkness - even out of ignorance. (...) So it's worth pointing out, I think, that this book [and blog] has been built brick by brick, as I believe I put it at one point, and has been drawn directly out of the material as it presented itself.
"So what needs to be said, I suspect, is that what seems to be going on here is something that is a little akin to the work of the alchemist - who, incidentally, was considered to be an artist; (...) it represents a new, more modern practice than, say, any form of premeditated or conceptual type of writing, in which everything is planned and plotted beforehand, and over which the writer presides in godlike, omnipotent fashion." And here once again, Colin's own "book" springs to mind, but his, and my, supervisor forbids access to that, to any but himself ;-P

2 Comments:

Blogger Sebastian Aristos said...

Interesting post. I will have to check out Colin's post before it is edited. Can't you make some compromise and get him to use a nickname such as "The Creator" which might be less offensive to his key worker, epecially if it considered a literary device ? Oh, the challenges of the amanuensis !

Oh where, oh where has the tarot of the day gone ? I used to make it regular reading. Did you delete it (highly unlikely) or did it just self-destruct ?

And good on you for inspiring all the people that you work with at Gawith Villa. And for recruiting newbies to the blogosphere !

3:52 pm  
Blogger asgif666 said...

And yes, Sebi, which Blogger gremlin ate my Tarot? *grr* As you can see, it appeared here yesterday... May need to re copy and paste template, if it does not turn up by tomorrow ;-P

11:17 am  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Hermgirl's Tarot Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next